Simpson Estate’s winemaker is the former Australian Winemaker of the Year, Clive Otto, from Fraser Gallop Estate.
Our viticulturists are Jim Campbell-Clause and Colin Bell, the 2018 ASVO Viticulturist of the Year.
We currently specialise in producing a ‘Bordeaux-blend’ Cabernet, typically 70-90% Cabernet Sauvignon, 10-25% Merlot and, in some vintages, the balance being a small quantity of Malbec.
The 2014-16 vintages saw the production of Shiraz and / or Cabernet-Shiraz wines, which make up the Estate Range.
From 2018, Simpson Estate has sourced premium Chardonnay fruit from an award-winning estate south of Margaret River.
All fruit is hand-picked and hand-sorted.
The Cabernets are aged for at least 18 months, and the other varieties for at least 12 months, in premium French oak, typically 35-40% of which are new barrels.
Complementing the deployment of some of Australia's leading viticulturists and winemakers, Simpson Estate wines are the product of a philosophy and methodology embracing various critical components:
- Attention to detail during every step of the viticultural process
- Continual soil and petiole analysis in order to maintain soil balance
- Adoption of organic viticultural principles as much as possible
- Minimisation of intervention
- Meticulous fruit selection
- Use of only the finest French oak
- In-barrel ageing tailored to the particular vintage.
Simpson Estate wines are crafted to be cellared. Although the wines are more than approachable within a year of the release date, the most pleasure will be derived from our wines through patience and anticipation.